Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ah... people and their stupid hangups. The recent cover of Baby Talk magazine featured a mother feeding her infant. For some reason, this has offended people. Um... seriously. Breasts make milk. Babies need milk. Therefore, breasts are for babies. Duh. Breasts have been so sexualized in this country, that many seem to have forgotten the reason we have them. WE HAVE THEM TO FEED BABIES.... not for the pleasure of men. Sigh... is this so hard to remember people? Breasts are for babies. I could rant on and on about this, but I won't. Too many others have done a better job. Kateri has put out a call to all of us to post our breastfeeding pictures to remind others that not only is it not obscene, it's what they are made for.
Ruby is seven weeks old and she's been nursed all over the place. Everywhere from the park concert to home depot, thankfully no one has said anything to me, cause I'm a force to be reckoned with when I'm angry. Trust me.
This was on monday... Ruby was almost 7 weeks old.
A few weeks ago.. nursing out in the back yard after an outdoor bath.
The first time she latched on - the day she was born. :)

Now.. do you understand what breasts are for? Or do we need to go over this again?

10 comments:

PlazaJen said...

Good lord. Why don't you breastfeeding women just start wearing burkas and never leaving the house? (Insert exaggerated eye roll here) I can't believe how backwards we get, while at the same time, nearly-naked women gyrate all over tv in music videos...commercials....or on the sidelines of the NFL.... It's tough shakin' those Puritan roots I guess. Good for you for posting all the pics! Miss Ruby is SOOOOO CUTE. And well-fed!

Alexandria said...

Haha. Yeah, I think we get the message. That was great! I think I like you when you get mad! :-)

sweethomealagirl said...

Hey, it's bamamama from LJ...I actually just posted something similar on my blogger blog the other day...is this part of a group, or could I submit mine as well? I love your pics...Miss Ruby is just so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Well, I went to your friend's website and added my indiscreet nursing pic to my blog. How totally screwed up is someone to think that it is inappropriate for her husband and son to see a woman nursing her child? Jeez. There are no words.

Stacy said...

Wonderful pictures!

Sara said...

Wow -- she latched the first day. My girl is still nursing at 27 months and I could have lots of great picture by now! It is silly what people are offended by; I'm more concerned about the images pushed on girls in our society.
Rock on with your pictures! :)

Nichol said...

Oh K, I love that top pic! What a precious look in Ruby's eyes! Don't you just melt to see that? Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday. I will for sure hang around for ya.

mamadaisy said...

I just wrote and deleted such a long comment about this that I'll just have to write my own post instead of hijacking yours. In short, good for you!

ccap said...

Good shots!

Devon said...

I loved that they put the picture on the cover and I was horrified that so many people were upset. What a crazy fucked up backwards world we live in.

Great pics!! Looks like you are quite the milk bar :)